Hosting an EDU Movie Event - Lessons Learned
We spoke with Pioneers in Skirts EDU screening hosts to find out about their experience — what worked for them, what didn’t, and what they would do differently in the future.
The screening formats they used when hosting the film:
- The Career Conversation EDU package
- The LIVE Filmmaker Watch Party
- The Corporate Screening bonus package
(Large company hosted screenings receive 1 free EDU screening. When companies and schools join forces, it can be a big WIN!)
Thanks to the generosity and openness of these dedicated educators, we were able to compile valuable checklist of ‘what to do’ and ‘what not to do’ that schools around the world can use the next time they host a movie screening event.
Lessons Learned #1: Do the work to drive up attendance
- Don’t rely on teachers to be your PR team
- Make it about and involve the students
- Prescreen the film to gauge student viewpoints in advance of your event
- Secure speakers (or moderators) that are students
- Brainstorm on promotional strategies that will work in your environment
- Walk the classrooms and ask the students for their input
- Offer door prizes students want — make it fun for them
- Recruit teacher sponsors who will focus on segments of targeted students (vs all students)
- Find innovative ways to encourage student PR efforts
- Ask student moderators for help
- Give students creative rights
- Download the poster file to print and distribute throughout the school
- Communicate the “why” to get people excited about your event
- It’s important: Let them know what’s so important or novel about your event…why should they attend?
- It’s fun and impactful: Set your event apart…plan music, career booths, bring-in a filmmaker to be part of your event :)
- It’ll be an event to remember: Build buzz by getting people talking about the screening before it happens (school newspaper or video interviews — interview the filmmakers!, hold a contest that involves students)
How We Help
- Depending on the package, hosts receive 2 – 10 private streaming links so that host decision makers or panelists can watch the film prior to the event (additional at $10ea)
- The Screening Kit provides hosts with artwork for promotional efforts (Poster, editable memes, invitation video, film stills)
- We provide affordable options for hiring a filmmaker to speak to students
- We’ve created content to help you set your event apart
- Pioneer Gear for door prizes (group & individual)
- Pioneer Playlist for cranking up the tunes! We’ve curated energizing and empowering songs so that you can set the tone of your event as your audience arrives.
- Downloadable Pioneer Theme Song – Freeway. Play it as your audience walks into or networks after the event.
Lessons Learned #2: Set yourself up for success
- Have a running pre-event action item check list & a Run of Show to help the event run smoothly
- Empower students to help with outreach
- Prepare student panelists ahead of the event and give them the freedom to create questions of their own
- Reserve time right after the screening for an interactive conversation (that ends with actionable next steps)
How We Help
- We’ve written a “20 Ways” blog post with great ideas for you to
- Provide a memorable movie screening experience
- Develop handouts
- Involve the community
We provide a Run of Show template to each screening host
Lessons Learned #3: Plan for a long-term affect
- Prepare students for the topic of the film
- Give students time to reflect on their own life, how they felt, and where they saw themselves in the film
- Follow up 2-3 days later
- Host a yearly movie screening event to reach incoming students and keep the conversation alive
How We Help
- We’ve created a pre-movie Questionnaire introducing topics of the film for students to complete prior to watching. The Questionnaire and accompanying Answers sheet give teachers a tool to base lessons on and lead conversations.
- We’ve created an anonymous Impact Survey students can complete (immediately after the screening or 2-3 days later)
- The Screening Kit provides post screening discussion questions that can be used during your event or long after when you’re instigating post-event classroom conversations
- We’ve developed an optional online LIVE learning tool: Find Your Inner Pioneer — it’s a post-screening interactive workshop. In the end students learn: when we personalize our goals, we are energized to keep going!
Watch how the film impacted this young audience.
Watch the movie trailer.