Content For Your Story
Are you writing an article or producing a piece about the gender-bias and sexism that can hold a woman back in her career?
Interview Director, Ashley Maria and/or Producer, Lea-Ann W. Berst about what they’ve learned as they traveled the U.S. making this film. They know about the change that needs to happen — and over the past couple of years many more do too — but now is the time to emphasize the importance of humanizing metrics in order for change to happen. Numbers move minds, stories move hearts.
One sheet: click here
Characters & interviewees featured in the film: click here
Timeline: Pioneers in Skirts is currently in post-production with a target premiere for first half of 2019
Ashley grew up in a world where girls are taught to be powerful. They’re told, “If you dream it, you can be it,” and are encouraged to work towards those dreams.
But, what happens when these dreamers grow up?
Now 27, Ashley always knew she needed to pioneer her own path, making sure to have a strong work-ethic and an internal motivation to succeed. But, only a few years out of school, she felt held back and powerless.
Little did she realize, she had been battling a bias that was eroding her ambition. Mountains of research reveal that women begin to back off from their career aspirations as soon as 2 years out of college and it continues to plummet over time. This phenomenon is affecting women across professions and has experts guessing as to what to do.
Ashley spoke to her friends to see if they were having the same experience, and they were. They, too, felt unprepared for what lies ahead.
Determined to find a fix, this DGA-award winning director grabbed her camera and set out on a nationwide journey to reveal the career obstacles women face, what realistically can be done about them, and how we all can play a role in dramatically changing the outcome for the next generation.
Stories weave in and out of Ashley’s personal journey, unfolding to expose what it is that is chipping away at a woman’s ambition and making her re-think her dreams.
Starting with one question, “WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR WOMEN TO ACHIEVE PARITY IN THE WORKPLACE?” Ashley brings in the experiences of other ambitious women like her and asks experts for strategies we ALL can implement today.
Pioneers in Skirts is aimed at the woman who –
- feels she has done all the “right things” in college to position herself for success as she entered her first job,
- has high ambitions for her career and the life in front of her,
- is aware that she should own her own success but can’t understand (or get past) cultural and systemic challenges that hold her back,
- is feeling like a wall has come up in front of her…and she feels it is all her fault
- feels she is to blame and is wondering how she can “fix” herself.
Pioneers in Skirts has a secondary audience of parents & mentors who –
- want to help girls carve a successful career path,
- have already seen the girls in their lives begin to doubt their capabilities, and
- have agonized as to why the girls in their lives are dropping out of a career path that seemed to once energize them.
- Most recently: Meaningful Change: SendGrid’s Donation to Pioneers in Skirts
- And then there’s… ForbesMedia, Spectrum News, SUNY Canton Blog, ForbesBusiness/SAP, Return Path Release, Lenovo Blog, The Thin Difference, West Virginia Press, Women Worldwide, Data & Marketing Association, After Canton Magazine, and more…
Images and Videos
Designed for our friends in the media, these images and video clips can be freely reproduced when credited to “Pioneers in Skirts® / Ashley Maria.”
IMAGES – Here you’ll find a sampling of images relating to the movie. Please contact us if you need a higher resolution version or a specific kind of image that is not shown.
What Test Screeners Are Saying
The film is amazing at really driving home key points and helping us see the world in a new way. They do not point the finger and say “I cannot succeed because of this man” they say “there is an issue in society and i am going to be apart of the solution so we can all succeed.” I really loved it.
Pioneers in Skirts is eye opening! Relevant…at times raw. Definitely important to see.
There’s a sense of realness and authenticity that’s different than a lot of films. This film just feels relatable.
It’s such an important film, especially today. Everybody can see their role in the problem.
When watching the film, women who are struggling will feel like they are not alone. I just love that.
Lucy Sanders – NCWIT
Brad Feld – NCWIT
Brad Feld – Foundry Group
Ashley and Norman Lear
Ashley and Joan Darling
Los Angeles, CA